Open House on Cockayne Property October 15, 2006


Nila Chaddock, left, with Anne Foreman and her donated artwork.

     To celebrate recent successes connected with the Cockayne Restoration Project, the Marshall County Historical Society is hosting a reception and public tours of the Cockayne Houses on Sunday afternoon, October 15, 1:00 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. A visit to the Cockayne property will begin with a reception at the smaller Cockayne house, 1105 Wheeling Avenue, Glen Dale. Light refreshments will be served.

     At that time, Cockayne-related paintings donated to the project by Anne Foreman, Sketches by Anne, will be introduced. Of special interest will be the painting entitled “Sam’s Door” which depicts the back door used by Sam to enter the one back room in which he lived. Beside the doors grows a single sunflower, which Anne indicates depicts the bright future of the house. In addition to the artwork donated by Mrs. Foreman, there will be several original paintings by the Cockayne sisters of the 19th Century and an exhibit of Cockayne-related artwork painted by students at Sanford Elementary School.

     Other attractions on the 15th will include the introduction of the prototype for a future Cockayne-related crock crafted by Betsy Cox. Betsy, a Glen Dale resident, is a clay artist doing business as Echo Valley Pottery.

     The Society will also introduce a small booklet entitled “Memories of Sam Cockayne,” which will include vignettes of personal remembrances by local citizens. This booklet was compiled by Bill Knuth, also a Glen Dale resident.

     Finally, there will be a display of artisan items donated to the project for a future fundraiser, including hand embroidered linen, crocheted contributions and a 1920's quilt donated by Janis Malson. The quilt was given to Mrs Malson by Anne Craven of Roberts Ridge, whose mother had made it. Mrs. Malson believes the design of the quilt is “Sawtooth Mountain.” The Society is extremely pleased to receive these items to benefit the project.

     This event will also allow a rare opportunity for the public to view the curation work going on within the farmhouse as tours through the first floor of the farmhouse at 1111 Wheeling Avenue will be permitted. Parking will be available at John Marshall High School. For additional information, call 845-9750 or visit our website at