In early September, 2012, the Marshall County Historical Society and the City of Glen Dale announced it had received a $40,304 Cultural Facilities Capitol Resources grant from the West Virginia Division of Culture and History and the National Endowment of the Arts with approval from the West Virginia Commission on the Arts. This grant was immediately applied toward the principal owing on the smaller 19th Century Cockayne House at 1105 Wheeling Avenue in Glen Dale. The grant matched funds previously received through the Marshall County Historical Society's 87 Club in an earlier amount of $40,304. Having much of the 87 Club match in place prior to seeking the CFCR grant was instrumental in acquiring this grant. With the recent addition of Main Street Bank as an 87 Club member, which $1000 will be matched through the CFCR grant, less than $5000 is now needed to acquire clear title to this historic property and reunite it to the Cockayne Farmstead.
In 2010, the Society announced formation of the 87 Club for the purpose of acquiring the smaller 19th Century Cockayne family home for this purpose. A proposed SITE PLAN for the Cockayne Farmstead set forth a joint vision for how the Farmstead would look when all important properties were acquired. In 2005, the prehistoric earthen Mound was purchased and, in 2008, acquisition of the south lawn was completed. The smaller 19th Century family home was the last remaining important piece of property that was necessary to achieve the vision.
In 2006, when the smaller Cockayne home came up for sale, Attorneys Louis Khourey and Jonathan Turak stepped forward to secure a loan for $87,500 to purchase the smaller house. Benefactors Khourey and Turak funded the purchase of the house solely to provide the Historical Society time to secure the funds to buy the property and rejoin it to the Farmstead. Upon obtaining the loan, Khourey and Turak immediately leased the property to the Society, which uses the house as the Farmstead's offices and visitors' center. The smaller house has been furnished entirely with furniture, equipment and supplies donated by the community.
As a means to pay off the principal and gain clear title to the smaller 19th Century house, the 87 Club is based on a simple premise:To seek businesses, organizations or individuals willing to donate $1,000 or more each toward that goal
Members of the Eighty Seven Club are listed on this webpage and will be engraved on a memorial plaque located near the house. Each donation was and is immediately applied to the principal. As the Society is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization, all contributions to the fund is tax-deductible. To become an 87 Club member, contact the Society at 304-845-1411. As noted above, only a few additional members are necessary to complete this purchase.
|Linda Cunningham Fluharty|
|David L. Aeberli|
|Roland C. and Janice Caldwell|
|American Electric Power|
|Phillip and Nila Chaddock|
|City of Glen Dale|
|Henry and Naomi Hupp|
|Louis and Charlotte Khourey|
|Sam and Josephine Kusic|
|Jonathan and Roselyn Turak|
|James and Jane Cockayne Weaver|
|The Grisell Family|
|Moundsville Daily Echo|
|Moundsville Economic Development Council|
|Dorothy Dakan Sedosky|
|John and Daniela Cockayne|
|Paree Insurance Centers|
|BB & T - Branch Banking & Trust|
|Mary Eliza Burgess Filter|
|Dr. and Mrs. Kenneth J. Allen|
|Christopher and Shawn Turak|
|Edward Michael and Julia Valerie Schafer|
|Marshall County Historical Society|
|International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local Union No. 141|
|Upper Ohio Valley Building & Construction Trades Council|
|Main Street Bank|
|The Marshall County Commission|
|West Virginia Commission on the Arts|